How much success have you had as an Amazon Associate?

Share tips and tricks with the AOM user community.
kaneco
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Re: How much success have you had as an Amazon Associate?

Post by kaneco » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:08 am

I know there is a market for parts online. I built a store no logo yet just categories and default settings. Three orders it two days! People are looking for parts. As far as your site I would separate it into two sites to me it looks like you just sell cars online.
Associate-O-Matic is changing. For the better. 8)

Please CLICK HERE for our important announcement.

tyankee
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by tyankee » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:30 pm

thanks... that's what i tried to do, but i think i might have missed the mark..

usdiesel

Post by usdiesel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:50 am

Hi,

I've made up to $1500 in one month. This is three or four websites together. Most of my items are high dollar items so it doesn't take too much to get there. I have some slightly high profile websites from doing SEO work to them over the years.
$1500 isn't enough to live on but it's nice mad money when it happens. I have good months and bad months, but between Google ads and Amazon, it's a decent thing.

Just my .02

Tami

ahutton
Experience Level 5
Experience Level 5

Post by ahutton » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:31 am

Is that $1500 profit or $1500 in sales?

Are you using pay per click? Most stores that use Adwords can do quite well. That's not to say that I advocate the use of adwords.

One time, after we had refinanced our home and had extra cash, I used adwords to get my one site to the top of the search engines. It was great. But the problem was that Google wanted their money at the end of the month and Amazon didn't want to pay me for another month.

So, only having the money to pay for one month's adwords, I stopped the campaign and my site sunk back to page 5 for my main keywords.

Tami, tell us your methods.

centime
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by centime » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:28 am

I do believe he intimated that he uses SEO.

@ Amy Hutton

Do any of your sites sustain high levels of organic traffic. That is none PPC traffic?

I ask because I believe traffic is a key factor and I am just starting to take amazon seriously having basically wasted ignored my aom sites for the last year.

Do tell

andystones

Post by andystones » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:51 pm

I'm glad I did not read this forum BEFORE I bought and installed AOM, I would have given up!

I run 6 websites using the AOM software, of those 6 websites 3 don't turnover any money at all, 2 are moderately successful and one is very successful indeed.

Very Successful = $1000+ per month from Amazon and another $150 per month from Adsense.

Moderately Successful = $300+ per month from Amazon and $40+ from Adsense.

I would never tell anyone here the domain name of the very successful website, and I don't really believe that anyone operating a very successful site would publish details, but I will share some of what I have learned along the way.

1/ This is the most important.. Don't try and run a mall, make each website specialized to one kind of product.

2/ You wont really know if it will be a success until you try, advance research really does not work for this.

3/ You will sell 100 products that cost $20-$75 for every $200+ product that you sell (in my experience anyway) so don't try and push the expensive items.

4/ Don't get stuck with trying to sell items that interest you personally unless this is just a hobby, the items that sell well may be items that you personally would never want to buy.

Adsense can be a good extra income, but Amazon income is much much better.

I will reveal my moderate sites and my hopeless sites, you will see that the format is identical, it's the product that really matters.

Moderate Success = www.advancegame.co.uk , www.liondvd.co.uk

Hopeless = www.rjwatches.co.uk, www.geckocamping.co.uk, www.geckoaudio.co.uk

All my AOM sites follow the same format, it's clean and simple with no extra fancy graphics or animations or music. The thing that really makes the difference is just the product and good promotion.

If you are in this to make money then you should go for multiple sites because they wont all work, if at first you don't succeed then try again and again. You can use cheap hosting to see if it's going to work and then move to premium hosting with a unique IP address when you get a real successful site.

afonseca

Post by afonseca » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:06 pm

@andystones

Thank you for sharing about the success of your sites with some specific numbers. I was wondering if you might be able to share a little more about the promotions of these sites. Is your traffic coming mostly from organic search engine results or are you running PPC campaings?

I noticed you don't have keywords/metadata tags enabled on the links you posted so would be very interested to know how you get traffic.

At the risk of asking too many questions, I'd also be curious to know about amount of traffic and conversion rate. I'm still fairly new to AOM but looking to learn as much as I can to be successful.

Thanks!

robibrk

Post by robibrk » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:09 am

andystones: can i get your css file?

littletoons
Experience Level 10
Experience Level 10

Post by littletoons » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:47 am

robibrk wrote:andystones: can i get your css file?
He's not using a separate one, it's just the built in css within AOM with values passed to it.

thehawkgroupllc
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by thehawkgroupllc » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:52 am

I am in the development phase of launching a site powered by AOM. I just came across this topic, very insightful. Thanks to all who shared their experience. Really helpful to someone just starting out. I am considering some added sites as well.

beaker

Post by beaker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:05 am

I used to use mrrat.com amazon script, and I had my doubts about AOM.

Almost a year on, I am now a very big fan of AOM.

I have tried nearly ten different sites. Somethings work better than others. For example, electronics and jewelry did not work.

We developed one, selling video games. At the time, I thought "I don't think this will work". I had a game cheats site so I was able to pull in around 20-30 visits a day for the first few months and give it some traffic.

When the students came back after the Summer it was like "bang" things really improved. This was combined with a good SEO in google, again a very pleasant surprise.

The good thing was the site was converting - not a whole load, but a sales every day with the odd gap.

The SEO has been up and down, but the great thing is direct nav on the domain is up.

Then I decided to try drums and this has done really well. I would musical instruments would be a very good niche for anyone to try.

Here is my thoughts on AOM:

1) this script definitely works
2) it works better for some things than others
3) all depends on the traffic. traffic = sales. Do not underestimate the power of a good keyword domain.
4) Bounce rates close to 20% are perfectly possible. I have three running less than 30% bounce rate.
5) I'm beginning to think the original AOM design might be the most effective or at least very effective.
6) To newbies, remember a dollar a day is a good result. Say you had 100 sites making a dollar a day. How much is that worth? Answer $1,000,000. Think about how much money you would have to put into the bank to earn $100 a day.

So if are making a few sales a day please continue and be very encouraged. It is very hard to this.

PCmediHost

Post by PCmediHost » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:37 am

I am so glad someone asked..I was about to do the same.

I am still running the free AOM and have 4-5 sites up for about 4-5 months. The domains are fairly well good keywords such as Media-Server, Media-Center, MyLingerieSite, Pewter, Headshop, PCmediaServer, Wizards, and I have not gotten 1 sale. I don't keep up with it much and I get probably get about 15-20 hits a day for all sites together...which I know is not much at all, but after 4-5 months I expected something. I am using AOM trial version just for trial. I wonder how much a difference it would be not having amazon sticking their nose into every "add cart" action and instead just taking over the sale when its done.

Anybody who bought AOM experience any jump in sales? From a site that did nothing? I guess what I want to know is it even worth buying the product. I honestly tend to think not since they trial version doesn't allow the customer to add items to cart without interruption from Amazon...(unless this is just the standard - In which case is retarded). Which goes against the most basic knowledge in sales. Don't interrupt the customer while shopping. I understood that AOM gets a percentage of sales..so for them to do this makes me question everything.

I personally think AOM should open up the cart. If the program works then "show me the money" (and yourselves), If not then I guess the trial showed me everything I need to know.

Regards,
Jeff

radite
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by radite » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:26 am

@andystones

wow that's a good money, could you share some tips..?

dg72
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by dg72 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:20 am

I did extremely well with an AOM site that I still run today, but is only what I would call moderately successful now. The reason my site did very well for about 2 years was that the product on my site had just become obsolete and I was one of a few sites that had a large listing of this product. For two years I paid somewhere in the region of £6,000 on Adwords, and made about £19,000 (so less £19000 less £6,000 = £13,000 profit). I hardly modified the site at all, I only changed some special offers once a month or so, I also put a new logo up every Xmas. Then the traffic really dropped off as the obsolete product became less interesting to the customers, so I promoted a different product line and it still earns around £100 / month with no PPC running on it which is not bad considering there has been no SEO work done on it what so ever. I occassionally go back to PPC, but only if I can buy Adword vouchers at the right price or get them for free, then I run a very low budget, limited campaign.

I also have around 4 other sites that sell absolutely nothing at all, but then they are straight out of the box sites, with no SEO and no custom content.

I also have some default Amazon Astores but again these dont sell anything at the moment, but you don't know unless you try.

Pushhyarag2000

Post by Pushhyarag2000 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:36 am

I have set up three stores (US, UK & Canada) with the trial version of aom. I already have a successful niche site and a WP blog and I wanted the store/s to be part of my healthy lifestyle choices niche site. Unfortunately, I can't upload files on that hosting service and I had to do a bit of juggle: I uploaded the files to my WP blog server and then made the store a sub domain for my niche site. The store can be accessed from my site http://www.healthylifestyles4u.com from the horizontal navigation tab.

There hasn't been much happening after close to about three weeks now. I guess this is because the store is not indexed/searchable owing to it being a trial version/inability to incorporate a key-phrase in the store URL.

Any one to critique and offer some friendly suggestions on how I take things forward?