How much success have you had as an Amazon Associate?

Share tips and tricks with the AOM user community.
Dustin07
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by Dustin07 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:36 am

I liked everything I read here except the domain name choice conversation. It seems to me that having words run together in the domain name has an opposite effect. I've found that having the hyphen helps the search engines to distinguish between the two words in a domain name.

here's an article on the subject by John Scott.
Associate-O-Matic is changing. For the better. 8)

Please CLICK HERE for our important announcement.

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Post by mcarp555 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:44 pm

I'm still not fully convinced that hyphens are better than running together. It may or may not have a real SEO impact, but I think it tends to fall into a grey area between what's good for spiders and what's good for humans. In cases like this, I feel it's better to fall back on doing it for humans, which usually means running together. If you're doing all the other SEO considerations (keywords, anchor text, links, etc etc), having a domain name people can remember and type reasonably well should also be important, no matter what the search engines like. Maybe that's wrong-headed of me, but there you are.

Dustin07
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by Dustin07 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:01 pm

how often do you get repeat business on an AOM site after the customer figures out that it's an Amazon affiliate?

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Post by mcarp555 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Dustin07 wrote:how often do you get repeat business on an AOM site after the customer figures out that it's an Amazon affiliate?
I don't see where having a hyphenated domain name makes any difference to that.

Dustin07
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by Dustin07 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:41 pm

no, my point is that if your customers are likely only going to visit you once, then just getting them in the first place (SEO) is more important than having a super memorable name, IMO.

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Post by mcarp555 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:52 pm

True. I might try it on the next store I come up with, and see what happens.

rickp23
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by rickp23 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:58 pm

My best store, that I advertise on Google Adwords, gets at most 300- 500 return visitors per month, which is about 1/2% of the traffic.

I have a software store that I sell the same product multiple times, found out by tracing the referrers that it is listed in a couple of places on a College Professor's page to buy a software package required for the course... The software package only costs $18.24, wish it was $180 :roll: So it isn't the same customer returning but the same referral over and over.

Dustin07
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by Dustin07 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:27 am

hey that's still a pretty cool referral though!

DualChannel

Post by DualChannel » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:23 am

I have finished my prepararion(html, php...) and now I am focusing on a niche.

I have a few questions about finding the best niche

I am talking about the AOM not an adsense

I found on the nichetaxi a nice with 99% faktor

the same niche had at the worldtracker only 0.1 KEI faktor

so
:roll: :roll:

what shoul I think about this?

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Post by mcarp555 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:34 am

Nichetaxi is really designed only for stores that rely on Adsense. I'd go with the KEI as a better indicator. My last few stores have all had KEI's of over 100 for their main keywords.

ahutton
Experience Level 5
Experience Level 5

Post by ahutton » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:14 am

A little advice from the letsbuildastore forum:

Some niches are small, some niches are HUGE. I mean toenail clippers are a niche, but so is american made automobiles. There are other considerations in choosing a niche, than it's being a subgroup of some larger theme.

Take your keyphrase and type it into google using phrase match (put "" around it.)

Then set your search preferences for 100 pages at a time.

Goto the very last page and at the top you'll see how many actual pages are your competition. You want a tight niche that has competition of 500 or less sites.

For instance, on my lastertonercartridge.net store, if you take laser tone cartridge and stick it into the freekeywords.wordtracker.com tool, you'll see that the term gets about 104 searches a day. We're aiming at a range of 80-110, approximately. A little more of less won't hurt.

Then if you take the keyphrase again to google and use phrase match and search. On the very last page you'll see that there are really only 353 sites in competition for the keyphrase.

What we are looking for is a keyphrase that has a phrase match competition of about 400-600 or there abouts.

So here's how you start out. Let's say you are interested in software. You type that into wordtracker and you see that it's WAY over 80-150.

So you narrow that down to, let's say, office software. Plug that in and you see that office software is a good niche as far as daily traffic goes, with 118 searchs per day. You might also choose medical office scheduling software, but I don't know if amazon sells that.

Take the term over to google and do a phrase match search with"". Go to the last search page and you'll see that the phrase really only has 649 competitors. That's useable.

That's how you choose a niche. Well, that and you have to do the market research to find out if the product line will be profitable (more in the letsbuildastoreforum.)

You might say, yeah, but that phrase only gets 3500 searches a month. Well, if you ranked on page one for the term, which is highly possible given our research, those 3500 searches per month could result in 17 sales.

Not enough sales? Then you darn well better be targeting more than one keyphrase! Learn how to do that in my forum.

You have a darn site better chance of ranking for office software than you do for software.

Amy

DualChannel

Post by DualChannel » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:10 am

How much time you usually need to find a suitable niche?

I was yestarday searching for about 2 hours and found nothing :)

I mean, not nothing at all, but for example 2 keywords which had over 1k KEI but only about 20-30 visitors per day, it is good to go in it? I will use some free hosting and a free domain like http://www.myweb.domain.com, I know it is not good solution, but I would like to see how it works and what should I expect from it before I choose some "proffesional" hosting and names etc.

Is there a big difference between http://www.myweb.domain.com and http://www.myweb.com with sales ?

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Post by mcarp555 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:19 am

It takes as long as it takes to find a good area to set up a store in. Remember it's a crowded market, and why waste time setting up a store in a poorly performing area? You don't save (or make) anything that way.

If you're asking if it makes a difference using a subdomain vs. a domain, yes it does. Subdomains perform very badly in terms of SEO.

ahutton
Experience Level 5
Experience Level 5

Post by ahutton » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:10 am

Actually, these days, a properly formatted subdomain name CAN rank better than a ful domain. For instance:

Which is going to be more relevant if my parent theme is dog training?

http://dogtraining.hut18.com or
http://allaboutdogs.com ?

Parent Theme ranking is about Theme Relevance.

As for the question about KEI and traffic...that all depends on how you are structuring your store. If you are building a front ened the way I show you in the letsbuildastore forum, then you can and should go pretty broad, and more traffic is better.

If you are just putting up a shop.php, then you want to have a rather narrow parent theme. A plain shop.php with a parent theme of romance novels is going to do better than a parent theme of novels.

The difference is content and the ability to incorporate more keyphrases in quality content that provides valuable information to the visitor. More keyphrase in more unique content means more Clicks per day.

If your keywords appear in unique content, you're going to rank better for that term than if your kw just appears in an amazon listing that isn't unique.

Your keyphrases in unique content trumps the keyphrase in an Amazon listing every time.

Amy

srini28
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Wow - a site every week?

Post by srini28 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:26 am

Amy, you really gotto be a whiz if you are putting up a site every week. I've had a site for a year and ZERO sales on it except for the ones I buy myself :) haha..
http://veggieplaza.com

I have gotten some good feedback from people on how to improve this site. Just that I am not sure whether it will be worth the extra effort...Your feedback will be appreciated.

btw, I am a paid member but I still have'nt figured out how to join your forum.

Thanks
Srini