How much success have you had as an Amazon Associate?

Share tips and tricks with the AOM user community.
Dustin

How much success have you had as an Amazon Associate?

Post by Dustin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:31 pm

Hi. I'm new to the forum and am looking into the possbility of using Associate-O-Matic. If it's not too much to ask, I am just curious as to what type of success people have had with this (not so much with Associate-O-Matic, but selling products through Amazon in general)? Is there anyone on here that makes decent money through this? You don't have to be overly specific if you don't want to be, but I'm honestly just curious whether it would be worth my time and effort. Commissions through Amazon range around 4-8%, correct? Part of me feels it would be difficult to make any money with that small of a profit on each sale.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

dragonweb

Post by dragonweb » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:50 pm

I am curious myself as well.

I just started up the site
http://www.compuverse.net

and the other

http://www.boardgamevault.com

We will see how things go...
Last edited by dragonweb on Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

rickp23
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Re: How much success have you had as an Amazon Associate?

Post by rickp23 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:22 pm

Dustin wrote:Is there anyone on here that makes decent money through this? You don't have to be overly specific if you don't want to be, but I'm honestly just curious whether it would be worth my time and effort. Commissions through Amazon range around 4-8%, correct? Part of me feels it would be difficult to make any money with that small of a profit on each sale.
Dustin,

You are right, the commissions are low, and they discontinued the 2.5% direct referral bonus (in the US). And Electronics are cut to a 4% flat now.

But remember you have no inventory to worry about and no time/costs in shipping & handling and credit card processing.

I've been doing Amazon Associates for a couple of years and AOM for 9 months. I'm curious what you would consider "docent money" and how much time you expect to put in per week for how long.

Also curious if you have any web experience or existing web sites.

Good Luck
Associate-O-Matic is changing. For the better. 8)

Please CLICK HERE for our important announcement.

dragonweb

Post by dragonweb » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:16 am

I am personally just waiting on google to index my site. That will be the true test once google picks it up. :) Which should be any day now the way I have been working and submitting things...

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:02 pm

I realize 'decent money' is definately an arbitrary term. I guess I would be interested in knowing an amount of orders people average per month on their sites, and whether you market your site, or just get orders from random searches.

rickp23
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by rickp23 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:45 am

I have stores which have never had a sale and stores with sales almost every day.

I use some Google Adwords, and through MUCH trial and error, have some stores that do well with it.

ahutton
Experience Level 5
Experience Level 5

Post by ahutton » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:04 am

If your store doesn't show up in the first two pages of the search engines, you probably won't get many visitors at all. Learn everything you can about search engine optimization., both onpage and offpage. Read Read Read.

Your job isn't over when you publish your store. There are soooo many things you can and should do to up the chances of getting a place on the first page of the search engines. Most people don't know anything about search engine optimization. But learning about SEO is mandatory if you want your store to succeed.

ToolGuy
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by ToolGuy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:08 am

It seems nobody is quite answering the question :roll: and I'm curious about this also. So, let me restate the question...

How many people are able to make their house payments and support their family through Amazon commissions?

I think it goes without saying, it takes some serious marketing to achieve any level of success. But are there a few folks out there actually able to achive this level of financial success?

fshagan
Experience Level 3
Experience Level 3

Post by fshagan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:46 am

I use the Associates program to support my web site (geared toward a hobby) and it does that. I'm able to generate enough income from my member's purchases to pay for the shared server space, but we're talking about $35 to $40 a month.

But, there's no advertising, SEO efforts, etc. My AOM store is tucked away on the navigation tab, and my members know that they support the site by clicking through there when they want something from Amazon.com.

What I do find interesting is that it is only the things related to the hobby site, with very few things bought each month that are not related to it. So I wonder if people land on my home page, and migrate to the shop portion "by osmosis".

ahutton
Experience Level 5
Experience Level 5

Post by ahutton » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:09 pm

I think that what happens is tht if an AOM site becomes very profitable, the owner doesn't need to visit the forum for help, so we don't hear about them.

Perhaps Justin can give us some examples of profitable AOM sites.

ToolGuy
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by ToolGuy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:25 pm

It's encouraging that the overhead can be covered by members' purchases, considering there's no promotion or anything. It is curious, how many are members and how many are osmosed into making purchases.

Also, that's a good point about successful associates hanging out here at the "support" forums, as they obviously don't need support. Another reason, and possibly a good one, is they don't want to share their success secrets with the rest of us. :wink:

fshagan
Experience Level 3
Experience Level 3

Post by fshagan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:13 pm

Well, its hard to see who is buying what. Amazon.com keeps that information, so I have no idea if the purchases are really from my users or the people who "visit" the site. Its interesting because there is one book I sell multiple copies of each month, and I know that particular item is not from my members (I have sold more than my membership count, which is around 200 people).

Dustin07
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:07 pm

I have a crappy keyboard specific site (I'd post the url but dont' want to come off as spammy) that makes a little money. It only gets 20 or so visitors a day. I make a few bucks a day on that site with adsense, and it looks like I might make about the same with Amazon. However, it's all of those 'build links' type ads featuring keyboards. When I saw that crappy site actually selling stuff I decided it was time to try AOM. I just started the site in my sig today, so we'll see how it goes.

srini28
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by srini28 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:53 am

Thanks for the info Dustin07..

I have a site called http://www.veggie-mall.com. It has only product pages but no content pages at present and I am still working on that. This is my first site and I have never used adsense before but I do want to start doing that.

It has been online only for less than a month and I have done no marketing on it since I don't think it is ready yet. It gets a few hits here and there and I have made no money with it so far.

I hope it takes off in the next 3-6 months - will post here if it does. (I promise ;)

Srini

ahutton
Experience Level 5
Experience Level 5

Post by ahutton » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:49 pm

My plus-size-heaven.com store gets about 100 unique visits a day. I have worked some of my keywords up in Yahoo.com and I get about 300 yahoo referrals each month.

I make several sales every week, and there definitely is a growth factor. The better you use SEO techinques, and the longer you have the site up, and the more often you change something on the main page, the better your sales will be.

On topchristiantshirts.com, I make fewer sales, but I have yet to do anything more than basic SEO with it.

I think the key to making money with AOM is to have multiple stores. I try and put up a new store each week. If each store brings in even just $100 a month, tn stores will bring in $1000 a month.

You already have the software, so why not multiple stores? I have about a dozen so far. With proper SEO and promotion, they do get sales. Maybe not every daty, but at least every week.