California users: Associates program terminated

Share ideas on running a business and tools to help you with your websites such as hosting, traffic analytics, etc.
MrEricSir

California users: Associates program terminated

Post by MrEricSir » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:52 pm

Amazon just e-mailed me with this:
Hello,

Unfortunately, Governor Brown has signed into law the bill that we emailed you about earlier today. As a result of this, contracts with all California residents participating in the Amazon Associates Program are terminated effective today, June 29, 2011. Those California residents will no longer receive advertising fees for sales referred to Amazon.com, Endless.com, MYHABIT.COM or SmallParts.com. Please be assured that all qualifying advertising fees earned before today will be processed and paid in full in accordance with the regular payment schedule.

You are receiving this email because our records indicate that you are a resident of California. If you are not currently a resident of California, or if you are relocating to another state in the near future, you can manage the details of your Associates account here. And if you relocate to another state in the near future please contact us for reinstatement into the Amazon Associates Program.

To avoid confusion, we would like to clarify that this development will only impact our ability to offer the Associates Program to California residents and will not affect your ability to purchase from Amazon.com, Endless.com, MYHABIT.COM or SmallParts.com.

We have enjoyed working with you and other California-based participants in the Amazon Associates Program and, if this situation is rectified, would very much welcome the opportunity to re-open our Associates Program to California residents. As mentioned before, we are continuing to work on alternative ways to help California residents monetize their websites and we will be sure to contact you when these become available.

Regards,

The Amazon Associates Team
Associate-O-Matic is changing. For the better. 8)

Please CLICK HERE for our important announcement.

giodelgado

Re: California users: Associates program terminated

Post by giodelgado » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:20 pm

This is bad for me also, does this mean that only US Amazon can't continue with referrals? will the other countries work?

AOM Admins please respond

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Post by mcarp555 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:09 am

Not good news. You would need to contact Amazon in regards to participation with other Amazon locales. At this time we don't know what their position will be.

yellowsnow

Post by yellowsnow » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Are any California AOM site owners looking to sell their established sites? I'm sure others would be interested. I know I would. I realize this is not a great option or your preferred option... but it's better than what the Gov and Amazon just did to you.

littletoons
Experience Level 10
Experience Level 10

Post by littletoons » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:23 pm

I am seeing one sell their site on Flippa right now. My advice is that Amazon won't win, and everyone should probably sell their sites early to realize some upfront money before it goes downhill. Probably try to get 8-10 times monthly earnings at least.

amigopatrick

Post by amigopatrick » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:43 am

:?: :?: I have a US Website and Promoting in the US However I live in Canada,. Does this mean that I wont be able to sell anything in California.

I Am just starting out,. Cant everone in California just get a mailing address outside of California to rectify this situation ???

Thanks
Amigopatrick

littletoons
Experience Level 10
Experience Level 10

Post by littletoons » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:07 am

Amigopatrick:

You'll be fine since you are in Canada, however Californians as well as the other states simply cannot just changed their address. Because later Amazon wants to see utility bills out of state, so it doesn't last too long for most people. You have to actually physically reside somewhere else. That's why most are selling their sites before its too late.

SWalker1
Experience Level 3
Experience Level 3

Post by SWalker1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Has anybody read this link: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/violetblue/am ... s-week/700. It looks like Amazon is welcoming Affiliates in California back!

littletoons
Experience Level 10
Experience Level 10

Post by littletoons » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:17 am

Wow, hooray for Amazon and the Cali users! Looks like Walmart was behind a big push to keep the Internet Tax as it stood.

gardel

Post by gardel » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:23 pm

I just got my letter a few minutes ago from Amazon graciously allowing me to become an affiliate again after using me and thousands of others as a pawn in their silly little fight with California, in which they ultimately caved.

That is so nice of them. Now I can set up my AOM Store again.

So I came to the AOM site to renew my license, and see that my "grace period" expired one week ago and it will cost $70 (and not $20) to renew.

Shouldn't AOM be asking Amazon for the extra $50?

I feel like a pinball.

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Post by mcarp555 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:34 pm

Gardel: Please send an email to info at associate-o-matic.com and reference this post, including the username and email you used when you purchased your initial license.

associate-o-matic
Admin
Admin

Post by associate-o-matic » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:55 pm

We will be notifying all AOM users from California that we are automatically waiving the $50 reactivation fee (if applicable) and also adding 3 free months (to cover the time lost during Amazon's cancellation).

Thanks,
Justin