Hostgator or Downtownhost?

Share ideas on running a business and tools to help you with your websites such as hosting, traffic analytics, etc.
Hereandthere7
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Hostgator or Downtownhost?

Post by Hereandthere7 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:54 pm

Hi -- I am looking for some advice on hosting. I am NOT a very technical soul by nature, but can navigate a cpanel or set up a wp blog ok.

At present my husband and I have hosting in 3 places:

1. pair networks, been there 10 yrs, ultra reliable but we are near the top of our price range in terms of usage so I am thinking of moving my sites mostly off there and leaving the bandwidth etc to my hubby.

2. bluehost.com -- very nice, inexpensive shared hosting. I have a few sites there.

3. hostgator -- I have several sites there on shared hosting.

I am thinking that if I stay with hostgator I would upgrade to a reseller account. I emailed their tech support the following question:

"I am experimenting with a program called Associate-o-matic, which builds Amazon pages. On their forum, last night I read that someone had had his hostgator account terminated or at least paused, don't remember which now, in connection with this program. He didn't give any details on how much server use it called -- if I even have the language right. I don't expect to do incredibly well all that fast, but my question is: how would I know if I had a problem?"

The answer did not fill me with confidence:

"Unfortunately you may not know there is a problem until we notice your site causing problems on the server and have to temporarily shut it down. If you want to be careful to avoid this problem you may want to sign up for separate Hatchling accounts for each domain so that one domain getting suspended would not affect your other domains."

Yikes.

So I have been poking around the net a bit and found that downtownhost.com seems to be well regarded. I am somewhat inclined to switch to them before really getting going on my stores.

Any recommendations or thoughts?

TIA,
Rosana
Associate-O-Matic is changing. For the better. 8)

Please CLICK HERE for our important announcement.

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Re: Hostgator or Downtownhost?

Post by mcarp555 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:28 pm

A lot of people use HostGator - they have a good setup, and it runs quickly. I've done work for a client who has 20+ AOM sites, and yes, he has had some problems with various sites being shut down or generating what HG feels to be too much CPU time, etc. I've had to go in and change some of his cache settings in order to deal with spambots throttling his bandwidth to excessive levels.

On the other hand, I have 20+ sites on DowntownHosts, and think they're fantastic. They have the best customer service, bar none. When I was researching webhosts, I couldn't find anyone with anything bad to say about them. They tell me my CPU usage is negligible. My only issues to date have been more about other users on my shared server wasting resources than any inherent problem with DTH itself. But that can happen with any webhost. I always recommend them.

Hereandthere7
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by Hereandthere7 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:22 pm

I emailed Downtownhost a few questions yesterday, and they replied within 5 minutes. I exchanged several emails with them, each one answered within a few minutes. Impressive.

Just signed up with them through your link, Mike, which I noticed is an affiliate link so made a point of coming back here to click through from it when I placed the order.

Note to anyone signing up with them in the future: I got a nice discount by using a discount code they had near the bottom of their homepage, so be sure to check there!

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Post by mcarp555 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:27 pm

Thank you Rosana. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

thehawkgroupllc
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by thehawkgroupllc » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:55 pm

I have owned a couple sites in the past (unrelated to AOM) and then decided to sell for various reasons. I found that different hosting companies handle the transfer of ownership differently. Some allow a change of account information to the new owner requiring no real file transfer. Others seem to require that the files be moved off the current host account to a new one created by the new owner. I guess it is a small detail but being able to just change the account information in this scenario makes things a lot easier. Do you know how these vendors handle this situation? Thanks!!

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Post by mcarp555 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:25 pm

I don't know how DTH handles that, but it's easy enough to ask them: DownTownHosts then click on the "Contact" link you'll see on the left. Send 'em an email.

thehawkgroupllc
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by thehawkgroupllc » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Thanks, I sent them an email!

thehawkgroupllc
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by thehawkgroupllc » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:21 am

The feedback I received from DTH is that you can transfer the files to another host or you can change the account ownership to the new owner. That would seem to satisfy my concern there in the event that I would sell an AOM powered website. Thanks!

landergeorge121

Post by landergeorge121 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:43 am

Hostgator vps services may be the best hosting services we have used for our business; they are fast and provide a lot of space for storing information and data. I am using their services in my business since a year ago and no complaint at all.
HostGator VPS

fantamacer
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by fantamacer » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:37 am

I never heard about Downtownhost. I'd go with HG. They also have coupon codes recently for new account sign up.

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Post by mcarp555 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:45 am

Please note the original posts are nearly six years old.