Hosting

Share ideas on running a business and tools to help you with your websites such as hosting, traffic analytics, etc.
dillenger
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Hosting

Post by dillenger » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:51 pm

Hey Everyone,

I'm curious to know where everyone get's their hosting from, and how much it costs

I'm always on the lookout for the best deal with hosting.

Right now i'm with http://2mhost.com/ . It's about 50 bucks a year, which is good, but I want to grow my site numbers, and don't really want to have huge hosting costs, until I start seeing good returns from my stores

Anyhow, what's the best place to host multiple sites at minimal cost?

Telejoke
Experience Level 3
Experience Level 3

Post by Telejoke » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:17 pm

Hi Dellinger,

Right now, we're hosting with ClydeHost (http://www.clydehost.com). Don't bother going there to look for packages, whistles & bells, etc. They deal strictly in customer relationships -- they find out what you want, how you want to grow, etc. and then custom build a package for you. We needed the ability to crate subdomains for one of our client sites and run large Expression Engine blogs on two others, and their owner personally matched my previous host's price -- with five additional "servers".

We'll miss ClydeHost as we're launching our own web hosting business devoted to organizations (churches, scout troops, homeschool groups and the like) as well as SOHO businesses.

Just a word about pricing.... those hosts that offer you 3GB space and 300 GB bandwidth for $4.95 know nobody is going to use that much resources for that amount of money. As a result, they end up with hundreds of sites on a server that should only have 30 or 40 at most. The overall efficiency of any site goes down proportionally. If you expect to use a lot of space or bandwidth, go ahead and pay the higher price to get a dedicated or semi-dedicated server. Check the reseller forums to find out which hosts "oversell". If the main host does not permit "overselling", go with them over one that does. Overselling is plugging in more clients at XXMB than the server theoretically can hold on the assumption that no one of them will use all of that storage and bandwidth. If you've ever been on a plane that was overbooked, imagine putting the extra passengers in the plane ;-)

paperStore

Hosting

Post by paperStore » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:57 pm

Dellinger,

I discovered a perfect hosting site for AOM amazon stores. With a single hosting account you can host up to 6 different domains. I am currently hosting 5 different AOM stores for 6.95/month.

Some of the features:

15 Gigabyte Hosting Space (NEW!)
web hostingHost 6 Domains on 1 Account!!!
2,500 POP/Imap Email Accounts
400 GIGS of Transfer (NEW!)
SSH (Secure Shell), SSL, FTP, Stats
CGI, Ruby (RoR), Perl, PHP, MySQL
2000/2002/2003 Front Page Extensions
Free Domain Forever!
Free Site Builder (NEW)
24/7 Superb/Responsive Sales/Support

To lean more visit: http://bluehost.com

Good luck

stkeys

Hosting

Post by stkeys » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:06 am

Hi Dillinger,

I have been using 2 different hosting companies for a while now both offer unlimited domain with most everything else unlimited i.e. Mysql data bases,emailaccounts,e.t.c.

Vodahost offer more space than anything I've seen for only $7.95 per month this includes your first Domain name free http://www.britntex.com/vodahost.html

24,000 MB Disk Space - Dell PowerEdge Servers
600 GB Monthly Data Transfer
Free Domain Name Registration & Transfers

Hostgator is a very popular hosting company and for good reason their prices are good they offer some things that Vodahost and a lot of others don't like Wild card subdomain .... used for programs such as Blogsolution
and their support is excellent, they have phone support, email, and live chat.

Nothing more frustrating than having to wait a day or so for a reply to your support questions.

The problem I have found with all shared hosting accounts that offer unlimited Domain's is the way the Domain is added.
They are actually addon Domains and as such only have 1 cpanel for all Domains used.

This can get very confusing when you start to add more and more Domains.

I have just joined a membership site that offer dedicated reseller type hosting.... now I'm not pushing the membership as it's about to close the doors but my point is if you want to host more than a few Domains I would seriously think about getting yourself a re-seller account.

You don't have to get into the re-selling but you will have the ability to set yourself up with as many Domain's as you have alloted space for each with it's own seperate cpanel all controlled from one Admin panel.

I've only just started transfering my sites over to this new host but already I'm seeing the benefits.

A re-seller account will cost more but if you have or plan on having more than a few sites I recommend checking into it.

Good luck,

St.
Associate-O-Matic is changing. For the better. 8)

Please CLICK HERE for our important announcement.

fshagan
Experience Level 3
Experience Level 3

Post by fshagan » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:03 pm

I tried several "cheap" hosts and finally found one that gave me a fair deal at a fair price. I could get cheaper, but I don't think I could get better.

I'm using a reseller plan from http://www.dathorn.com mainly because of their excellent uptime ... I've been with them for 4 years and have never had an issue take more than an hour to resolve.

They aren't for beginners, though. They don't hold your hand through a problem you have on your own, but will react very quickly when something goes awry on their end. Read the forums (which are open to all) before signing up if you go there.

Also, realize that most of the links given in this thread are affilliate links; the folks may really be pleased with their host, but they are getting a commission by having you click through. I'd double check the host's reputation by doing a search at http://www.webhostingtalk.com for them first.

bmcaulif
Experience Level 3
Experience Level 3

Full Access Hosting (Virtual Dedicated Server)

Post by bmcaulif » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:28 am

I'm using a virtual dedicated server from Mightydomains.com. They have Virtual Dedicated Server Plans From $34.95/month. It may sound pricey, but you get *full* (root) control of the server (it's a Linux partition on a very big server). The base package included 10GB space, 500GB traffic and a control panel, though I choose to use Webmin myself. It means that you have to know what you are doing, or have a decent Linux person to help set things up. It comes with all the things you need to run a php package like AOM already installed, and you can run as many domains as you want on it (I'm running 10 on mine right now). The cpu and memory are burstable, so it just allocates you more resources when you need them. I just went from 10GB to 30GB disk space, and the space was available within 5 minutes of upgrading.

They also have other packages in the same price range as the other posts here, but I have not personally used them. I do know that every time I have a customer support inquiry, they usually respond in a few minutes, at most an hour via email, and they have 24X7 phone support.

bmcnett

I use godaddy.. it's cheap!

Post by bmcnett » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:19 pm

I already had a godaddy account for $4 a month, so I put my AOM site on there, too. godaddy wants you to pay $4 for each domain, but a little mod_rewrite magic got around that.

No problems so far! But when I put AOM in my home directory, it still goes to look for the icon_*.gif images in the AOM directory.

http://www.amazingpig.com/

fersal
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by fersal » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:40 am

For $3 extra you can host unlimited domains on GoDaddy under their Deluxe plan which costs $7/month. It's working very well for me so far.

mrLenin
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by mrLenin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:35 am

I am using godaddy VPS and really it is great service.

srini28
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Siteground

Post by srini28 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:50 am

I use siteground. Have had no problems so far.

btray77

Re: Hosting

Post by btray77 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:10 pm

OMG, I cannot believe someone said GoDaddy's web hosting was good... It's the one of the "worst" hosting available. They have so many limitations on what you can and cannot run on there servers, plus issues concerning php scripts and htaccess issues. Just go to Google and type in godaddy hosting... you'll see more negatives than positives about it. I am a GoDaddy reseller unfortunately and I wouldn't buy hosting from them even at my discounted rate. I don't even buy domain names from them anymore.

Domain names, they are good. The fastest DNS updates I've seen. but price there are better. 1and1.com is cheaper, same service basically plus "FREE" private registration.

For hosting I'm fairly happy with HostGator.com (I have a reseller account running 21 AOM websites on it, I get about 500,000 hits between all 21 sites a month, no CPU usage issues reported and very little down time.) and DreamHost.com (I just opened this account, for the drive space. I do not have enough personal experience with them to give a testimonial but a friend loves them.)

Other Hosts to stay away from:

VoDaHost, they will shut down your site without warning if you run a busy AOM website due to server loads. AKA if you get more than 5,000 people to your site a month using AOM you will probably be shutdown, and loose your year prepaid, etc...

GoDaddy - Above

-Brad

p.s. I'm an affiliate for several web hosting sites, and notice I didn't put a hotlink to get money for recommending a host. AKA bluehost pays well for each 65 for each referral. Hostgator $100 referral. I'm giving you the facts not making money.

bfine
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by bfine » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:31 am

btray77
I also use HostGater and am very happy with their service.
You said you have 21 aom sites on a reseller account. I've been looking at and thinking about going the reseller route. Do you have all 21 on the same account? Don't take offense at this, but how do you keep them all straight? :shock:

Thanks

sagetips
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by sagetips » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:21 pm

I've been using Hostgator for about three years and am very happy with the service and value. I also have an account at 1and1 but use this only for startup sites and experiments. 1and1 is no where as reliable as Hostgator.

Just my 2 cents.

jsgill
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by jsgill » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:44 pm

I have a deluxe hosting plan with godaddy it allows me to host unlimited sites. However i am having some problems.
1. If i point my domain to the root then it works fine, but this way i can host only one aom store.
2. If i point the domain to a dir. so that i can host several aom stores it works fine if mod rewrite is off, as soon as i turn mod rewrite on only home page loads, no links on the home page or links to other pages work. I get error 404.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

jsgill
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by jsgill » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:06 am

Hi all,

With AOM's Justin's help i was able to solve this problem by changing shop.php to /shop.php in .htaccess

Now all my stores are working fine with mod rewrite on.

Thanks, Justin!

http://www.engineeringstudyguide.com/
http://www.computergamesource.com/
http://www.brilliantgemstone.com/
http://www.dryfruitshop.com/