cfg.saved.php Question

Questions, tips and ideas related to marketing, SEO and Google.
developments
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

cfg.saved.php Question

Post by developments » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Other than FTP, is it possible (through admin?) to save a copy of the latest version of cfg.saved.php?

I've looked at the "manage backups" function, but don't really get it. It'll have several like this:
10:00:01
10:00:02
10:00:03
...etc...
11:15:50
11:15:51
11:15:52
...and so on, but how are you supposed to know what's what?

After finishing a lot of editing it would be really awesome to be able to save a copy locally to disk w/o having to open an FTP client.
Associate-O-Matic is changing. For the better. 8)

Please CLICK HERE for our important announcement.

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Re: cfg.saved.php Question

Post by mcarp555 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Every time you click on the "save" button OR change tabs, a backup is generated. The numbers after the name are the time and date. The program used to save the last 25 backups, but it's been changed lately to just 10 backups.

The most recent copy is always the cfg.saved.php file itself. You can always save a copy of this to your computer for archival purposes. In fact, I always recommend it, in case of any unforeseen problems that might corrupt, erase or otherwise damage the file. Such occurrences are a lot less common than they used to be, but it's always better to be safe rather than sorry.

If you don't want to FTP it, copy the file to somewhere else on your site. Create a 'backups' folder if you want.

developments
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by developments » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:47 pm

mcarp555 wrote:You can always save a copy of this to your computer for archival purposes. In fact, I always recommend it, in case of any unforeseen problems that might corrupt, erase or otherwise damage the file. Such occurrences are a lot less common than they used to be, but it's always better to be safe rather than sorry.

If you don't want to FTP it, copy the file to somewhere else on your site. Create a 'backups' folder if you want.
Yes, I agree on archiving, and do so religiously, but by FTP. I'm not sure if I'm reading your reply correctly,... are you suggesting that I can save locally via browser?

I don't want to save server-side as I don't trust the webhost. I want to be able to have a complete site locally for when I move. I even have redundant backups locally. Yes, I'm still working the new webhost angle and will have to make a change very soon.

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Post by mcarp555 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:30 pm

No, the only current options are server-side or FTP.

I don't know if it's possible to institute a download option for the saved file; I'll speak to Justin about it.

winkleink
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by winkleink » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:22 pm

From looking at this and thought it was a good idea.
So, I found some PHP code to send an email with an attachment and modified it to only send the cfg.saved.php file.

Below is a link to the code.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9935575/Code/emailcfg.php

All you have to do is enter your email address on line 7 and upload the file to you server in the same folder as shop.php.
Since it is hard coded to only email the one file it should be quite secure, but as with all these things use at your own risk.

I would also recommend changing the file name on the server to something a bit more random, so that the file is more difficult to find.

As an suggestion for AOM: since you have to enter an email address for reporting in the full AOM. It might be possible to implement a version of this using that email address for sending the backup.

In that way the backup is controlled with AOM rather than being a separate script.

Enjoy,
Albert.

developments
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by developments » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:44 am

Albert -

What triggers the send? Is it a matter of just navigating to emailcfg.php?

Thanks -

developments
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by developments » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:23 am

I did find FireFTP - http://fireftp.mozdev.org/features.html - a Firefox addon that has simplified the process somewhat. Still working on an easier solution...

winkleink
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by winkleink » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:14 am

developments wrote:Albert -
What triggers the send? Is it a matter of just navigating to emailcfg.php?
Thanks -
Purely navigating to emailcfg.php sends the email.
That is why it is all hard coded so that no one can reroute the email or access the cfg.saved.php
I also recommended changing the file name to something a bit more strange so that it would be truly unique and not discoverable.

To back up a number of sites with one click you could build a web page with iframes that call the script on the different sites. You can then call one page and it emails you all your cfg.saved.php files in one go.
If you have hosting where you can schedule tasks (cron) then you could set up a cron job to call this page once a week to get a new set of cfg.saved.php files automatically.
It's a bit of a kludge but in the end you would have automatic backups and as you add new sites you would just upload emailcfg.php to the new site and modify the html page to call a new iframe.