Amazon trackingID vs Account request limits

Get answers to your installation and setup questions.
Dean
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Amazon trackingID vs Account request limits

Post by Dean » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:57 pm

I know there is another long thread about this, but I started a new thread because I have run out of ideas. I have used the robots.txt files recommended here to stop some of the spider bots but the issue remains.

Here is my question:
I have several tracking IDs that were provided to me by Amazon to identify revenue from different locations. I use the same tracking ID on several sites. Would it help anything if I used a different ID for each account? If I understand correctly, I am limited to somewhere over 2000 requests for all ID's combined. Is this correct? If so, how do you run multiple sites without constantly bumping the limit?
Associate-O-Matic is changing. For the better. 8)

Please CLICK HERE for our important announcement.

developments
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Re: Amazon trackingID vs Account request limits

Post by developments » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:56 pm

.htaccess has been the only means by which I've found to successfully control bots. Example snippet:
# Bad Bot Control
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} AhrefsBot [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Baiduspider [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Discobot [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} EdisterBot [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} HuaweiSymantecSpider [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} JikeSpider [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Magpie-Crawler [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} MJ12bot [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} NerdByNature.Bot [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} SISTRIX [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Sogou [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Sosospider [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} TurnitinBot [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} YandexBot [NC]
RewriteRule ^.* - [F,L]

http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC ... tml?r=1701

"Each account used to access the Product Advertising API is allowed an initial usage limit of 2,000 requests per hour. Each account will receive an additional 500 requests per hour (up to a maximum of 25,000 requests per hour) for every $1 of shipped item revenue driven per hour in a trailing 30-day period."

...so it's my understanding that there is a sliding scale dependent upon individual success...

Dean
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by Dean » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:15 pm

Traffic and sales have fallen a lot over the last few months, but there is still enough to kick that up a lot more than 2000 with that formula, so I don't know.

I am down to the point now where I cant even spider the site to build a 5000 page sitemap.

I found this page on stopping bad bots with htaaccess that has a bunch of bots already set up, don't know if this is a good choice or not.

http://en.linuxreviews.org/HOWTO_stop_a ... _.htaccess

Comfort
Experience Level 3
Experience Level 3

Post by Comfort » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:16 am

In simple terms if you have genuinely minimised your bad bot traffic then you need more sales revenue..

How many sales did you do last month? for what total sales revenue?

What was the total visitor and pageview counts for your websites?

Dean
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by Dean » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:05 am

Sales are way down because the sites stay down all of the time. This has been going on for a while and I didn't realize it was Amazon shutting off the content. As sales were falling, I thought it was attributed to Google's algorithm changes. I guess I dont spend enough time checking the sites. Since I realized what was going on, I have been checking and they are constantly down.

I added the bot blocking code the the htaccess file but sites are still shutting down. This morning I shut down the three worst performing sites. These sites were not contributing much of anything to sales, but were exposing me to potential bot activity, so I shut them down completely.

developments
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by developments » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:24 am

You should review your logs and determine exactly which bots are being abusive to your sites. I looked at the link you provided and it appears to be outdated, or at least very different from what I have personally experienced. The .htaccess approach needs to be surgical,... a list of bots that others say are being abusive to their sites might not and probably won't help you.

Dean
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by Dean » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:39 am

I host these sites in DreamHost. I tried looking at the logs last night, but couldnt find anything current. I guess I will need to contact them to find out why I dont have any log files in the log folder.

Dean
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by Dean » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:16 am

Finally got into the logs... Baid, Google and Yandex were the 3 biggest. I have baid and yandex (and others) shut off in the dreamhost control panel. We will see what happens. Maybe sales will start back up and things will start moving the right direction.

Comfort
Experience Level 3
Experience Level 3

Post by Comfort » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:17 am

Can somebody check my maths please.. From my understanding of the API the following should be correct... maybe :)

If you generate $1000 in sales per month you are making $1.38 of revenue per hour and therefore qualify for 2694 queries per hour.

If you generate $10000 in sales per month you are making $13.88 of revenue per hour and therefore qualify for 8944 queries per hour.

If my maths are correct then you can't blame Amazon for restricting your access as most issues I see about this relate to under 3000 queries per hour. Reversing the numbers tells me 3000 queries per hour relates to $1440 in sales revenue which at say 7% commission is $100 in associate earnings.

I know this might sound a little harsh but IMHO if you can't generate more than $100 in income per month from your AOM store and/or other Amazon initiatives you should not be putting such loads on Amazon servers anyway.

To reach the maximum of 25,000 calls per hour you only have to generate about $30,000 to $35,000 in sales which will deliver about $2000 to $3000 in associate earnings depending upon what rate you hit. These are numbers that many here will be hitting and exceeding.

All of this is subject to my understanding of the maths behind their rules :)

Comfort
Experience Level 3
Experience Level 3

Post by Comfort » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:59 pm

Can somebody confirm my understanding of the maths in the API limits above is correct??

Dean
Experience Level 2
Experience Level 2

Post by Dean » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:40 am

Just a follow up. I have blocked the offending bots and revenue is coming back... not very fast but I can see that it is getting better. I have not been able to catch any of my sites down.

My host had a place in the control panel to block bots and I also put some of the worst offenders in the bock that is part of the host control panel as well as the .htaccess

infomatique
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by infomatique » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:58 am

I have codes for different countries: Italy, Spain, Germany, France, UK & Ireland, Canada, USA, Germany. However based on experience I appear to have three quotas: Canada and The US, UK & Ireland, Germany, France,Italy, Spain. What I mean by this is if my German store is over quota then the stores for France, Italy and Spain are down. To the best of my knowledge you are only permitted to have one ID per country but for historical reasons I have two for the UK & Ireland but I only have one quota.

Dean wrote:I know there is another long thread about this, but I started a new thread because I have run out of ideas. I have used the robots.txt files recommended here to stop some of the spider bots but the issue remains.

Here is my question:
I have several tracking IDs that were provided to me by Amazon to identify revenue from different locations. I use the same tracking ID on several sites. Would it help anything if I used a different ID for each account? If I understand correctly, I am limited to somewhere over 2000 requests for all ID's combined. Is this correct? If so, how do you run multiple sites without constantly bumping the limit?

clippittee

Post by clippittee » Fri May 29, 2015 12:37 am

Hi. Are there any changes in request limits for this year? So far, I haven't seen any. Image