Regarding Wordpress and Google

Get answers to your installation and setup questions.
webdevoman
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Regarding Wordpress and Google

Post by webdevoman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Thanks for reading this, I appreciate it..

I have 3 separate questions to ask here instead of writing 3 separate posts. I hope this is ok.

#1 - I am trying to add Wordpress to my site and I cannot get it to work. I believe it is htaccess which is really one of those things I have trouble with still. Can anyone assist me? I installed a B2Evolution script blog just to see if it work and it does so there should be a not to difficult way to get Wpress working..

I just want to install it as a sub domain..

#2 - Regarding Analytics and the shopping cart...

I know there is an entry point for Analytics code for the shopping cart but is there more to it than that? Is it really that simple with this script? In order to just track general sales I only have to add the analytics code to that one entry?

Can someone that is using Google Analytics to track sales please help me get set up? I just do not want to waste time messing around if someone here can easilt tell me what I have to do..

#3 - I am just looking for some basic tips on using adwords with this script and I also want to tie it in with Analytics so I can track... I am not looking for advice on using adwords in general. I am looking more for specifics related to using it with Associate o matic and analytics..

Thank you guys so much. I just cannot tell you how much I apprecaite all of the help I get here...

webdevoman
Rich

-
Associate-O-Matic is changing. For the better. 8)

Please CLICK HERE for our important announcement.

webdevoman
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Re: Regarding Wordpress and Google

Post by webdevoman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:13 pm

I am sorry for the mass of questions--

Focusing on the first question which is my main issue--The problem is that my wordpress blog which is installed anonlinemall.com/wordpress/ for now will not display. When I remove the main htaccess file the blog works fine so it is obvious it is a simple htaccess issue..

I have tried changing the main htaccess and even adding one to the wordpress directory. I have tried just about everything and anything including researching this for the last 3 hours all with no luck.

Does anyone know what I have to add to htaccess to het this working? Is there any way around this?

Thanks all...

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Post by mcarp555 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:56 am

WP and AOM have mutually exclusive .htaccess rules, and usually WP keeps trying to insert rules into the AOM .htaccess file when WP is in the subdirectory. Generally you have three options:

1. Turn off the mod_rewrite rules for AOM and discontinue the .htaccess file.
2. Install AOM and WP in separate subdirectories off of a common root, then link them to each other.
3. Install AOM and WP in completely different directories, with different domain names and link them to each other.

There was a recent post regarding getting Analytics to work, which you can read here.

Do you mean advertising your AOM site with AdWords? Many users will have different experience, but I'm not aware of anyone who's done it with great success. It will generate a lot of traffic, but few if any buyers. "Tire-kickers" as they say.

littletoons
Experience Level 10
Experience Level 10

Post by littletoons » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:31 am

One thing I find is that if you have an existing .htaccess file. WordPress will add a comment line before a new line character and break your file. Therefore, make sure you review the edited .htaccess file and move that # down to the next line. Because it breaks it every time.

webdevoman
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by webdevoman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:53 am

Thanks for the replies. I am hopefully optimistic! :D

Seps 1 and 2 will totally kill my already listed content and step 3 defeats the whole purpose of the blog in the first place..

There has got to be another way...

Here is the main htaccess I am working with--Maybe this will help--

Code: Select all

RewriteEngine on
DirectoryIndex shop.php

RewriteRule ^reviews-([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([a-z0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9_]+).html shop.php?c=$1&n=$2&i=$3&p=$4&a=reviews
RewriteRule ^buy-([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([a-z0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([A-Za-z]+)-([0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9_]+).html shop.php?c=$1&n=$2&i=$3&m=$4&p=$5&a=buy
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([a-z0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9+_"]+)-([A-Za-z0-9+_]+)-([a-z]+)-([0-9]+).html shop.php?c=$1&n=$2&k=$3&t=$4&s=$5&p=$6
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([a-z0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9+_"]+)-([A-Za-z0-9+_]+)-([a-z]+)-([0-9]+).rss shop.php?c=$1&n=$2&k=$3&t=$4&s=$5&p=$6&rss=1
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([a-z0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9+_"]+)-([a-z]+)-([0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9_]+).html shop.php?c=$1&n=$2&k=$3&s=$4&p=$5
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([a-z0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9+_"]+)-([a-z]+)-([0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9_]+).rss shop.php?c=$1&n=$2&k=$3&s=$4&p=$5&rss=1
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([a-z0-9]+)-([a-z]+)-([0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9_]+).html shop.php?c=$1&n=$2&s=$3&p=$4
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([a-z0-9]+)-([a-z]+)-([0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9_]+).rss shop.php?c=$1&n=$2&s=$3&p=$4&rss=1
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([a-z0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9_]+).html shop.php?c=$1&n=$2&i=$3
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([a-z0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9_]+).rss shop.php?c=$1&n=$2&i=$3&rss=1
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([a-z0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9_]+).html shop.php?c=$1&n=$2
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([a-z0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9_]+).rss shop.php?c=$1&n=$2&rss=1
RewriteRule ^page-([A-Za-z0-9+_"]+).html shop.php?a=$1
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9_]+).html shop.php?c=$1
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z0-9]+)-([A-Za-z0-9_]+).rss shop.php?c=$1&rss=1
RewriteRule ^item-([A-Za-z0-9]+) shop.php?i=$1
RewriteRule ^search-([A-Za-z0-9+_"]+) shop.php?k=$1
I just find it hard to believe there isn't a simple and easy solution to this...

Thanks again..

Webdevoman

groovy99

Post by groovy99 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:54 pm

webdevoman wrote:Thanks for reading this, I appreciate it..

I have 3 separate questions to ask here instead of writing 3 separate posts. I hope this is ok.

#1 - I am trying to add Wordpress to my site and I cannot get it to work. I believe it is htaccess which is really one of those things I have trouble with still. Can anyone assist me? I installed a B2Evolution script blog just to see if it work and it does so there should be a not to difficult way to get Wpress working..

I just want to install it as a sub domain..

-
I have this up and running successfully on the latest version of wordpress and latest version of AOM. I did not need to mod htaccess yet. Hosting is at Hostgator on CPanel x3. I installed wordpress to the root and then installed AOM into a subdirectory I created for it specifically.

Patrick

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Post by mcarp555 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:02 pm

AOM will generally work with WP if you keep SEO turned off. Otherwise the mod_rewrite rules for AOM and WP start to tangle up.

groovy99

Post by groovy99 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:00 pm

If that is the case then I would say focus SEO work on the blog rather than the store. The content on the blog will be easier to draw in serp love than a ecommerce storefront.

Patrick

littletoons
Experience Level 10
Experience Level 10

Post by littletoons » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:17 am

I actually rebooted my first from scratch and "lost" any I had gained in the search engines. It was painful, but is now very successful. So you sometimes need to go through the catharsis to have SEO friendly urls, etc.

You can also on step 2, make store.domain.com and blog.domain.com and these would be good together. Of course totally different domains for each work as well. If I ever have a WP site with AOM, I'm sure I could get it to work with the same .htaccess as well. But this is not anything in the foreseeable future for me as I have too much work, but I have no doubt it can be done.

Separate still is indeed better.