"Featured Items" Custom Box using asin.txt

Find addons/modules/scripts for AOM. Post your own.
alucas

Re: "Featured Items" Custom Box using asin.txt

Post by alucas » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:26 pm

This script worked before with images and price but around aug 15 it stop working i think it is due to the amazon api change i have no fix for it as i am not a advance programmer
Associate-O-Matic is changing. For the better. 8)

Please CLICK HERE for our important announcement.

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Post by mcarp555 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:31 pm

It is due to the API change. I've already been in touch with the developer, who has agreed to take a look at it. No promises, however.

fshagan
Experience Level 3
Experience Level 3

Post by fshagan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:55 pm

Hi guys,

Mike did contact me over the weekend, but I wasn't able to take a look at the code yet. I will update it, along with Mike's modifications either tonight or tomorrow!

Frank Hagan

fshagan
Experience Level 3
Experience Level 3

Post by fshagan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:31 pm

Well, I took a quick look at the new Amazon requirements and the code will have to incorporate the individual public and private AWS keys. That means anyone who wants to use the code will have to obtain those keys and edit the code to include them. I suppose that isn't too much of a bother because you need both for AOM now.

I'll work on this over the next couple of days.

fshagan
Experience Level 3
Experience Level 3

Post by fshagan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:56 pm

I think I finally have it working ... I sent a beta copy to mcarp55 to see if he can test it before I subject everyone else to it.

The new Amazon requirements are not that difficult once you can get through their obtuse explanations. I was able to find code others had done, and that simplified things greatly.

fshagan
Experience Level 3
Experience Level 3

Post by fshagan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:41 am

mcarp555 has been kind enough to help me test the little program, and has added some CSS styling to the output so it will blend better with your AOM installation.

The program now requires you to edit the file to put your access key and secret access key in it; so far, I haven't found a security issue with this, but I have some inquiries out to people on it. A lot of programs have a PHP file with username and password in plain text in them but they are generally not accessible through a browser. Finally, other than Amazon locking you out for making too many requests per second if someone steals your key, there doesn't appear to be any way for them to access the rest of your account using the secret key. So, with that caveat in mind, I have attached the beta version of the updated program to this message.

I will be adding some functionality to the program, but I know several people have it "broken" on their site now. This one duplicates the functionality of the original.

PHP 5 required, as well as your own access and secret access key (the same ones you had to enter into AOM).
Attachments
featured_20090827.zip
Beta of "featured.php" to work with new secret key requirement of Amazon.
(37.94 KiB) Downloaded 612 times

groovygrovesy

Post by groovygrovesy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:45 am

Hi,

I have just set this up on my AOM site and I am getting the same problem as what was shown in the picture from a previous post. If I click on the link it takes me to the correct product so it is partly working.

Note I am using the latest featured.php file as well.

Is anyone else having the same problem? Does it need re-writing again by the author or is there something I can do?

Cheers

Adam

mcarp555
Admin
Admin

Post by mcarp555 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:14 am

It's been a few years since this was looked at last, so it may be due to API changes. Are you using it with items that require you to select options first, like apparel?

groovygrovesy

Post by groovygrovesy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:31 am

Hi Mike,

Some of the products need an option selected but not all of them, I didn't know this was an issue but I suppose it makes sense.

Anyway not to worry I have some plans to fill in for the featured products in the mean time.

Regards

Adam

appsfinder
Experience Level 1
Experience Level 1

Post by appsfinder » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:20 am

fshagan wrote:mcarp555 has been kind enough to help me test the little program, and has added some CSS styling to the output so it will blend better with your AOM installation.

The program now requires you to edit the file to put your access key and secret access key in it; so far, I haven't found a security issue with this, but I have some inquiries out to people on it. A lot of programs have a PHP file with username and password in plain text in them but they are generally not accessible through a browser. Finally, other than Amazon locking you out for making too many requests per second if someone steals your key, there doesn't appear to be any way for them to access the rest of your account using the secret key. So, with that caveat in mind, I have attached the beta version of the updated program to this message.

I will be adding some functionality to the program, but I know several people have it "broken" on their site now. This one duplicates the functionality of the original.

PHP 5 required, as well as your own access and secret access key (the same ones you had to enter into AOM).
does this mod still work or is it Dead?